We are a boutique association management firm based in Albany, New York, representing clients that operate in local, state, national, and global markets.
We can help you form a new association, coalition, or foundation, or revitalize an existing one.
We can also help you take your all-volunteer organization to the next level.
Over our 30-plus years in the business we have developed and implemented strategies helping public and private sector association clients grow their revenues, membership, and influence.
We have been with the Association of Financial Guaranty Insurers (AFGI), representing the monoline bond insurance industry, since its 1986 founding. We have helped industry members meet their public policy needs, even through periods of unprecedented upheaval in the financial sector.
We managed and raised substantial funds for foundations supporting the work of NCOIL and NCLGS. Those efforts funded research and analysis that contributed substantially to public policy discussions on issues ranging from insurance market conduct examinations to treatment of unclaimed lottery prize money.
In our first year serving the Capital Craft Beverage Trail, the organization doubled its membership, launched its wildly successful Passport program, and continued to grow its signature series of Drink events.
We helped found and guide the initial growth of the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States (NCLGS), an organization of state legislators that has contributed substantially to policy dialogues on a wide range of gaming issues through its development of top-notch model legislation and policy studies.
We have helped the Industry Education Council (the IEC) enhance the value of membership, grow in visibility and credibility, and systematically and actively engage existing members in new member recruitment and retention.
During our first year managing the NYS Distillers Guild, the organization strengthened its voice in Albany and Washington and grew its membership thanks in part to a streamlined two-way flow of coronavirus regulatory information between state and federal officials and craft distillers.
We have helped our clients meet a wide range of public policy goals in New York and in Washington, D.C. We have also successfully lobbied in other states, and before organizations like the National Council of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL) and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
We are skilled in every area of government affairs, from strategy development and formation of alliances and coalitions to bill drafting and on-the-ground lobbying. Our relationships and credibility are unmatched.
We helped achieve strong and productive financial guaranty insurance laws in New York, California and Connecticut. These were the nation’s first risk-based capital laws.
We have successfully represented clients before NCOIL and the NAIC in connection with their model legislation and regulations.
We helped achieve adoption by NCOIL of a resolution that helped preserve a strong medical malpractice market.
Research and Analysis
We can provide you with highly credible research and analysis. Our reports are known for their clarity, substance and accuracy.
The significant studies, landmark reports, and timely books we have authored or spearheaded have helped government affairs and compliance professionals do their jobs, and have helped frame important public policy decisions. A few examples follow.
Taxation of Multistate E&S Placements: A Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis, for the Excess Line Association of New York (ELANY), addressed a major friction point in potential federal incursions into the state-based insurance regulatory system, and was the subject of major public policy discussions at NCOIL, the NAIC, and in several states.
Rising Waters, Mounting Challenge — Flood Prevention, Protection and Assistance, a report on the National Flood Insurance Program, published under the auspices of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and NCOIL, contributed to more aggressive implementation of flood mitigation strategies, and more effective use of federal dollars by local governments.
Several other studies for NCOIL and its sister Insurance Legislators Foundation (ILF) addressed issues like medical costs in workers’ compensation, automobile safety, reinsurance collateral, and market conduct examinations.
Who We Are
Bob Mackin and Teresa Casey formed the partnership Mackin & Casey in 2010 after several years working together in the company Bob founded in 1985.
We look forward to serving our existing and new clients with the boutique-level service that is our hallmark.
Bob Mackin, Founding Principal
Bob Mackin, Principal of Mackin and Casey, founded and served as president of Mackin & Company for 25 years. Bob has fostered the growth of several associations and foundations, including:
- the Association of Financial Guaranty Insurers (AFGI),
- the National Conference of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL),
- the Industry Education Council (the IEC),
- the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States (NCLGS), and
- the Insurance Legislators Foundation, and the NCLGS Foundation.
Before founding Mackin & Company, Bob’s career included tours of duty in government, politics, and the media. Bob served as:
- Assistant State Insurance Commissioner in California,
- Executive Assistant to the New York State Superintendent of Insurance,
- Staff Director of the New York Senate Insurance Committee, and
- Director of Public Affairs for the New York State Urban Development Corporation (UDC).
Bob also served as campaign press secretary to U.S. Senator James L. Buckley, and began his career as a press aide to the New York Attorney General. As a political consultant, Bob compiled a won-lost record of 12-1.
Bob had an extensive career as a journalist, including a stint as Associate Editor of Parade. Articles he has written have appeared in mainstream publications such as the New York Times, Newsweek, Parade, and TV Guide, as well as several insurance and other trade press outlets.
He is author of Jackhammer, a World War II espionage thriller described by Kirkus Reviews as “an extremely confident debut that’s fast-paced and full of surprises.”
Bob holds a Master’s degree in communication from Fordham University Graduate School and a Bachelor’s from Fordham College. He was president of the Fordham University Graduate Student Association.
Contact Bob: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teresa M. Casey, Principal
Teresa M. Casey, Principal, joined Bob Mackin in 1997.
Teresa is the Executive Director of the Association of Financial Guaranty Insurers (AFGI) and represents AFGI in New York. She is also Executive Director of the Capital Craft Beverage Trail, and Administrator of the Industry Education Council.
- has managed AFGI government affairs initiatives in New York and before the National Conference of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL) and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC);
- has helped The Capital Craft Beverage Trail (CCBT) double its membership, launch its Passport program, which drives consumers to its members, and grow its series of “Drink” events showcasing local craft beverages;
- has helped facilitate dozens of national conferences attended by legislators, regulators, and industry representatives;
- has facilitated media and other communications needs; and
- is the primary author of a report on taxation of multistate insurance transactions in the non-admitted market, prepared for the Excess Line Association of New York (ELANY).
Teresa holds a BA in anthropology from Bard College, and has completed the Empire State Society of Association Executives (ESSAE) Association Leadership Academy course.
Contact Teresa: email@example.com
Jessica Iavarone, Membership Services Associate
Jessica Iavarone joined the company as Membership Services Associate in 2021. Before joining the company, Jessica has served as:
- a Marketing Manager for a local non-profit organization, and
- Operations Assistant and Social Media Coordinator for a non-profit organization based out of California.
Jessica received her BA in Communications/Marketing from the University at Albany in 2017.
Contact Jessica: firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Goodman, Accounts Manager
Bob Goodman joined the Company as Accounts Manager in 2000. Bob has managed the accounts of the company as well as its association management clients, often in close collaboration with those clients. Before joining the company, Bob has served as:
- a District Manager responsible for opening new outlets and revitalizing others for a large national retailer;
- a business manager for a regional service station chain;
- an entrepreneur with his own company, which helped several small business clients develop and maintain computer-based financial systems; and
- part of a team in a General Dynamics engineering research and development laboratory that worked on military communications and other projects, and featured a multinational team of collaborators.
Contact Bob: email@example.com
Are we small?
Are we expert in what we do?
Do we utilize help from other experts when we need it?
We believe in focusing on what we are good at: Association Management, Government Affairs, and Research and Analysis. When we need design work – print or on the web – we call on other experts. When we need accounting or IT expertise we do the same.
Below are a few members of the team of experts we use in our own business, and who help us serve our clients.
Providing unparalleled personalized IT service in New York’s Capital Region and beyond. Use our contact form below to request contact information for Ray Suen, Principal.
Deb Best Practices provides outsourced senior human resources (HR) practitioner services for leaders in all sectors and is a New York state Certified Women-Owned Business Enterprise.
Mackin & Casey, LLC is a NYS Certified Woman-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE).
139 Lancaster Street
Albany, NY 12210